Despite advances in gender parity in education, women continue to be underrepresented in basic and applied sciences; in particular Latin American women…
In VENEZUELA the gap is more notorious, as continent-specific failures are worsened by the existence of a failed state, currently unable to meet the most basic needs of its citizens, including but not limited to education.
Recent reports from recognized international and national organizations all agree on an unprecedented humanitarian situation; one that calls for action beyond basic humanitarian aid.
The AVEF strongly believes in education as a powerful tool to address this core problem.
Our proposed solution is Geeky Latin@s
A STEM Leadership Program for Young Latinas in the Americas
An online educational platform for empowering young Latinas in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM), as a feasible mechanism to propel the next generation of professionals in these areas while promoting diversity of gender and ideas.
1. Recruit instructors, facilitators and participants
Potential instructors and facilitators will be recruited from all the Americas, via email, phone messaging.
Social media will be used to promote the program and recruit participants.
2. Create working teams
Three teams: two for STEM, and one for leadership.
Two leaders per team; a majority woman.
Teams work together with project coordinator to assemble the instructors and facilitators that will participate in each team.
3. Deliver Program
A series of online and on-site educational workshops carefully designed for a young Latin female audience.
Selection of outstanding participants for short STEM internship
Pathways to Sustainability & Scalability
We plan to implement two sustainability models:
Assignation of a percentage of the AVEF donations to the program
Fundraising events by the AVEF, alone or in association with the institutions of the team members.
A non-for-profit store with both, online and on-site branches, in Guelph and Montreal.
Impact and Measurement
1. An enhanced interest of young Venezuela women in STEM Careers.
2. A significant increase in the rate of success of Venezuelan Women in completing a higher education STEM career.
3. A long-term increase in Venezuelan diversity at the workplace.
4. A long-term increase in participation of women in leadership positions at the workplace.
5. A long-term improvement in productivity of research, technology, and industry sectors in Venezuela, with an overall positive impact in the country’s economic and social development.
6. Public presentations and journal publications for dissemination of program outcomes.
How you can help?
Memberships through the AVEF’s website
Repost and raise awareness of our campaigns and programs on social platforms
Share our work with family, friends and colleagues!
Propose fundraising initiatives to our cause
Volunteer in fundraising activities and events
Make your purchases through Amazon Smile
Your company can:
Affiliate AVEF as a social cause.
Sponsor our program
American Venezuelan Engagement Foundation
Phone: +1 305 563 1435
Address: 5223 NW 94th Doral PI
Doral FL 33178
© 2021 American Venezuelan Engagement Foundation